Park Hill Cemetery’s history dates back to 1888. At the time, Scandia Cemetery was Duluth’s only Scandinavian Cemetery, located on the shores of Lake Superior. Some years later, there was talk of abandoning Scandia Cemetery, due to concerns over its close proximity to Lake Superior.
As a result, members of the First Norwegian Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church (now First Lutheran) purchased acres of land at the present Park Hill Cemetery location. Church members believed the cemetery’s financial situation would improve if operated as an Association, separate from the church. Articles of Incorporation for the proposed Park Hill Cemetery Association were drawn up, a Board of Trustees were named, and the cemetery began operating under State laws and regulations.
More land was purchased over the years, allowing expanded space for an office, tool house, vault, and chapel. The main office and mausoleum were built in 1970, including the installation of a crematory.
Serenity is found throughout the grounds in the beautiful ponds, gardens, memorials, and endless evergreen trees.